Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The light mods begin!

So I got my fixture back from Finnex today and promptly started tearing it apart. I have a surface area of 14X24 inches to squeeze 96Watts of T5's and 130 Watts of PC into the Black Acrylic hood I made.

The Finnex proved to be a little harder then anticipated. The grommets that hold the main power cords into the side panel were glued in place. Normally these grommets pop right out. Not that lucky. I sorted out the switch wiring and just snipped the cords. I will solder and heat shrink these connections to make them solid and water tight.

Here you see the full fixture as well as the ballast. In case you need to replace one.

This next pic shows both the Coralife and Finnex fixtures together in hood. Ballasts for PC's will be mounted behind reflector. Finnex ballasts are already secured on top of the reflctor. There will be about a 1" gap between the reflectors and the top of the hood. Stand off's installed with long screws and locking nuts.

In other action, I have installed my American DJ power station. What a great addition to the stand. Layout is straight forward and simple. Now there is only ONE cord visable outside the stand. 1=Main pump, 2=ATO, 3=Skimmer, 4 both 50 watt heaters, 5= 8 bank Coralife digital controller, 6=8 bank Coralife digital controller, 7 and 8= Tunze Nano Streams (left and right)

2 comments:

HammyDavisJr said...

Oh yeah...me rikey that power setup. Might have to copy that

satnu said...

Thanks! It was pretty easy to do. Nice clean look, the way I like it!