Wednesday, February 7, 2007

To cram or not to cram

That is the question. All right, 2 Tunze nano streams and a MH reflector arrived today. Nanos ROCK! My DIY Iwasaki's NEVER looked better. That got me to thinking. Can I shoehorn a 250 watt MH AND 65 watt PC's into my standard Finnex set up? Do the math. 250+130+96

I think I can. Here's how. (maybe) Construct a second hood for the MH. Not much heat generated behind the reflector. So I'm going to attempt a acrylic hood. Light weight, strong and easy to work with. 1/4" should do the trick I think.

Coralife dual 65 is already torn apart from 60 gal tank. I will need longer lead wires to outlets. Easy. Ballast's are tiny (compared to MH one.) Fans not necessary if mounted in stand. Now for the fun part. Finnex hood is 23 1/2" wide. Plenty of room for 65 watt PC's stuck on the sides. The trick will be mounting the PC clips the hold the bulbs. They will need to have clearance and not operate at a funky angle. No reflector needed as the Finnex reflector will be utilized. Then figure out moon light LED wiring and placement. (Stock placement stinks IMHO)

Next shipment from MD is LocLine plumbing stuff. Got the Y, forgot one whole side of Y plumbing stuff. Scheduled to arrive Monday. DOH!

Sand may hit the tank this weekend. OLD 60 gal. LR get placed in tank with saltwater. Cycle begins? How long can LR survive out of water wrapped in wet newspaper? Don't know? We'll find out. Lots of color still and NO SMELL.(die off) We'll see! Substrate is a combination of South Down, fine (yes I have South Down, still have 12 bags of it) and Argonite course.

Reef wall is out. Too many drawbacks at this point. Time and MONEY (for LR)!

ATO, 10K bulbs and Coralife power strips ordered.

Man will this tank ever get started. Mod, mod and mod some more!

No comments: