Friday, February 2, 2007

So it begins...

After tearing my 60 gal. down for the move I wanted to step back and re-evaluate my position on reef keeping. The 60 was A LOT of work.

I have always enjoyed smaller systems and was waiting for the right one to come along.

Well I found it. A 30 gal. Finnex cube. I came to this conclusion after reading some posts at Nano-Reef and ReefCentral. It seemed the quality was there.

I am shooting for a softy tank with a few fish (3 maybe), crabs, shrimp and clean up crew.

I was really impressed with masterswimmer's reef wall set up. I want to add a peninsula coming out of the center of the tank. Take a look here!

My (initial) set-up will be as follows.

Lighting: Stock T5's that came with the tank. In addition to the T5's I will either add my Dual 65W Coralife PC's or one of my two 175W MH. Custom Acrylic hood (built by me to house them)

Pump: Stock for now. Going to leak test and run tonight. Single output will be replaced by a 1 1/8" X 1/2" bulkhead, Loc-Line Y and two 1 1/2" nozzles. To add "flow" I am adding two Tunze 6025 Nanostreams. Thought about a larger pump but was concerned first about heat and then the need for a valve to control flow. Some have had to mod their fuges to settle down the flow.

Skimmer: Stock for now. There seems to be a little trouble with micro bubbles and adjustments. I'll wait for that verdict.

Stand: Custom built by me. I plan on thinking this one out a bit. Need room for Top off container and a safe (read DRY!) place for electrical.

ATO system found here.

That's it for now. It is going to be a good weekend to start this "adventure" here in Burnsville. Weekend highs will NOT make it above zero during the day and -15 to -20 at night! YIKES!

No comments: